Considering then this human existence – hard is it to obtain;
It is like the blossoming of the udumbara.
Truly we come now to hear the Pure Land teaching so rare to encounter;
Truly we have encountered the opening of the dharma-gate of the nembutsu.
(Master Tz’u-min (680-748), Kyogyoshinsho by Shinran Shonin, CWS, p. 41)
Think on the Buddha’s virtue! Hearing the Buddha’s Name even once is rarer than encountering the udumbara in bloom; hence, I take refuge in and worship the great Dharma-king rarely met with.
(Master Genshin (942-1017), CWS, p. 52)
The most common sources used
Unless otherwise stated, quotations on this blog are from
- The Collected Works of Shinran, Vol 1, The Writings, Jodo Shinshu Hongwanji-ha (CWS)
- Buddha Dharma, The Way to Enlightenment, Numata Centre for Translation and Research (BD), and
- BDK English Tripitaka Series, BDK America (ETS)
Comment and discussion
Readers are welcome to post comments relating to any posting in the blog. Please uphold these two principles when contributing to discussion:
- Please keep all comment on-topic
- Please always be respectful and courteous.
Comments that demonstrate and unwillingness to adhere to these two principles will be removed.